What to do if your child is excluded from school

Posted 11/07/2018

When a student is excluded from school, it’s a hugely stressful experience for both parent and child. But it’s important not to panic, as solutions are available. Take the following steps to minimise any break in your child’s education.

1. Talk to the Head Teacher about Alternative Provision. Often the school will have a process and guidelines to follow, but it’s important that you make yourself fully aware of what should happen next.

2. The Head Teacher may put you in touch with the school’s Special Education Needs & Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCO) in some circumstances if the exclusion issue is behavioural and involves mental health problems, which is often the case.

3. If you have any concerns with the school’s responses, the next step is to contact your local council. Ask for the Head of Inclusion.

4. Make yourself fully aware of the laws applicable to exclusion. For example, the school MUST arrange alternative education from the sixth day of the exclusion.

5. For fixed period exclusions (up to 45 days) it is the school’s responsibility to organise Alternative Provision (AP); and for permanent exclusion, you should contact your local council.


Online Alternative Provision can be an excellent way of helping your child back to full integration and productive learning.

For guidance on the law and regulations, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/school-discipline-exclusions/exclusions