Tailored lessons for the most challenged students
We provide live, online lessons for the most challenged students to help them overcome their obstacles to education. The work we do embraces both academic and life skills. Their barriers might be mental or physical illness, behavioural issues, or some other challenge that makes them unsuited to, or unsuccessful in, full-time mainstream schooling. Our understanding of each student’s individual situation allows us to teach at a level and pace that works best for them. This personalised approach significantly impacts outcomes for the whole child.
We partner with Schools, Academies, LAs, Councils, Hospitals, PRUs, and other APs. We provide a broad curriculum for all exam boards. Whether students are with us for a few weeks or a few years, they get what they need at Apricot.
Hear what students think and how Apricot works with its clients, helps students re-engage, eases reintegration, and forms lasting partnerships.
At Apricot, the curriculum is designed to
- Recognise students’ prior learning
- Recognise individual ‘s barriers to learning
- Build confidence and resilience
- Become creative and critical thinkers
The ability to learn is underpinned by building trusting relationships and teaching basic skills, knowledge, concepts, and values. We promote student responsibility for learning and future success.
While we have our own intentions for our students, we very much take our cues from clients who know their students’ needs best. We, therefore, work collaboratively with our clients to determine both short and long term outcomes for students.
Our intentions for our students are realised by
- Building trusting and productive relationships
- Offering a broad curriculum
- Encouraging high levels of participation
- Being sensitive to individual needs and group dynamics
- Celebrating many areas for success beyond academic attainment
Each child is considered individually when choosing lesson and rich-media learning strategies. For all students, we work toward their taking responsibility and ownership of their learning. We encourage engagement and expect effort. We celebrate every small step of progress and help students to recognise and celebrate their own strengths.
Measuring impact at Apricot is in-depth and we, therefore, know that our students have the knowledge, skills, and understanding we intend them to have.
- Attendance is recorded live by lesson
- Assessment Objectives for each subject are recorded for each homework and most classwork
- 21st c. Skills are measured on a weekly basis
- Learning Behaviours are measured half-termly
- Individual Learning Plans are recorded on a termly basis
Reporting and platform data is reviewed in departmental staff meetings to evaluate strategies for addressing students’ areas of strength and weakness. Learning Walks and/or formal Lesson Observations are held termly to ensure each teacher’s students are showing appropriate progress, both academically and personally.
We are not a data-driven school, but we review each child in relation to their data in order to address any shortfalls in implementation and to evidence that they are learning and progressing.