Overcoming obstacles to learning — at home and beyond
We tailor live, online lessons for the most challenged students to help them overcome their obstacles to education. The work we do embraces both academic and life skills. Their barriers might be mental or physical illness, behavioural issues, or some other challenge that makes them unsuited to, or unsuccessful in, full-time mainstream schooling. Understanding each student’s situation allows us to teach at a level and pace that works best for them – and the impact on outcomes for the whole child is astonishing. We partner with Schools, Academies, LAs, Councils, Hospitals, PRUs, and other APs. We provide a broad curriculum for all exam boards.
Need to ensure your stay-at-home children get the best education possible? Apricot can help and support you with live, timetabled lessons taught by qualified, specialist teachers who know how to engage students online. Lockdown? Year group bubble sent home? Homeschooling by choice? Whatever the reason, call and talk with us – we are trusted by LAs and Councils across the country. This is one burden you don’t have to carry alone. Welcome to all our students across the UK and internationally. Please note that all lessons are timetabled in GMT.
At Apricot, the curriculum is designed on a knowledge progression model. We are very clear on what students need to learn in order to apply the knowledge they gain. Everything is pinned to the National Curriculum with special attention paid to what has come before (including closing learning gaps) and what is coming next for them.
- Recognise students’ prior learning
- Recognise individuals’ barriers to learning
- Build confidence and resilience
- Prepare for what comes next by becoming creative and critical thinkers
The ability to learn is underpinned by building trusting relationships and teaching basic skills, knowledge, concepts, and values. We promote student responsibility for learning and future success. While we have our own intentions for our students, we very much take our cues from clients who know their students’ needs best. We, therefore, work collaboratively with our clients to determine both short and long term outcomes for students.
Our intentions for our students are realised by:
- Building trusting and productive relationships
- Offering a broad curriculum
- Encouraging high levels of participation
- Being sensitive to individual needs and group dynamics
- Celebrating many areas for success beyond academic attainment
Each child is considered individually when choosing lesson and rich-media learning strategies. For all students, we work toward their taking responsibility and ownership of their learning. We encourage engagement and expect effort. We celebrate every small step of progress and help students to recognise and celebrate their own strengths.
Measuring impact at Apricot is in-depth and we, therefore, know that our students have the knowledge, skills, and understanding we intend them to have.
- Attendance is recorded live by lesson
- Assessment Objectives for each subject are recorded for each homework and most classwork
- 21st c. Skills are measured on a weekly basis
- Learning Behaviours are measured half-termly
- Individual Learning Plans are recorded on a termly basis